Thursday, July 16, 2009

We're Going to the County Fair!

Oh, what fun it was! We thought that they would want to ride on all the rides and go to the petting zoo. Morgan only suggested it 17 times in the car on the 10 minute drive there.

Well, they only rode one ride and we never even found the petting zoo (but that's okay we bought the 5 days pass). We went through all of the barns and said hi to all of the show animals and that was a BIG hit. Who knew!? So we found the bunnies and chickens first and it was pretty quiet in there until we arrived. Let me set the scene for you...There were a few youngsters in there doing their 4H presentations (more on that) so there were quite a few people in there but it was quiet. So we looked at the bunnies first and the girls loved them. I never knew there were so many different breeds. My brother-in-law (super science) did. He tried to make up his own breed when he was in 4H-smartypants. Anywhoo...We turn the corner and see the chickens and Skylar couldn't help but let out a loud "COCK-A-DOODLE-DOO!" Oh, it was priceless. Pretty much dropped Bryan and I to the floor. Everyone, of course looked over and laughed.
**4H sidenote-I had absolutely no idea what 4H was until college when all my teammates were talking about it. Boy did I look stupid when I asked what it was! I am a product of my big city environment.
Okay so then it was on to the cows. Morgan wanted nothing to do with them. Skylar was a little weary so I carried her through, and she "moo'd" at them of course but not with the excitement of the chickens.

Then we actually got to see a cow being milked. I was reminded of my own children's birth. Pretty sure a few mom's there had some flashbacks. We all had that look as he was explaining the process. Poor cows. Poor DeeDee. All out there for everyone to see.

Then it was on to the pigs. Morgan said, "No way! It's too stinky in there." And Skylar was pretty much over it after we saw the first 3 pigs laying in ick breathing heavily from the heat and trying to lick water from the hoses.
Then it was on to the sheep. Again, Morgan was out of there. But Skylar, oh Skylar. How she loved them! I never knew. She "baa'd" at every single one of them and jumped up and down and put on a little show for all the people and sheep. Those were by far her favorite. She saw one get sheered and walked right up to all of them and said hello. I think she liked that they baa'd back. I didn't take any pictures or video of her with them, but I will when we go back!
Next were to horses. Morgan could have been in there for HOURS!! She was in her element. Reminded of her Papa's ranch and all the horses there.
There was even a little baby horse that she named Baby Special Doc after Papa's horse Doc. Morgan touched every horse in the barn and just had a grin from ear to ear.
Skylar liked the baby too. We later found out this was Bee-Bop.



Now on to the good stuff. This one will forever haunt Bryan. Oh, what a man will do for his family! Yee-Haw.


1 comment:

Dawn said...

Love it!!! And I love that Skylar is barely in the last picture...just trying to peek over the top! How on earth did you get them to stay there...my kids would have bolted in three different directions! Love & miss!
D